Pilonidal Sinus is an Italian term, which means a nest of hair. Ingrown hair is the main cause of the disease. Although it is a less known health problem, it is common among young generation, especially males between an age group of 20 to 30. Endoscopic Pilonidal Sinus treatment in Chandigarh is now available to treat this problem. EPSiT procedure is the newest one for its treatment.
What is a Pilonidal Cyst?
A Pilonidal Cyst is a cystic structure which is developed along the upper cleft of the buttocks. It is located almost 4-5 cm from the anus. This cyst is caused by a group of hair and debris trapped in the pores of skin.
Common symptoms – More than one cyst may also develop. Later on, they connect to each other by tunnels which are formed under the skin. It then forms an abscess. When it’s infected, a Pilonidal Cyst becomes a swollen mass (abscess). Common symptoms of an infected Pilonidal Cyst are:
• Redness in the affected area of skin
• Drainage of pus or blood from an opening in the skin
• Foul smell from draining pus
There may not be any noticeable symptoms which can indicate the occurrence of a Pilonidal Sinus.
EPSiT procedure for Pilonidal Sinus – EPSiT (Endoscopic Pilonidal Sinus treatment) is the most advanced treatment for pilonidal sinus that is done with laser endoscopy. This treatment option is now available in Chandigarh at Global health care clinic. It is a minimal invasive treatment that involves only a day care procedure.
With this treatment option, significant recurrence and morbidity rate can be well managed for Pilonidal Sinus as well.
EPSiT has two phases: a diagnostic and an operative phase. To identify the anatomy of the Pilonidal Sinus and its secondary tracts, diagnostic phase is done and to ablate and clean the infected area, operative phase is done.
Benefits of EPSit over traditional techniques – The traditional techniques involve the removal of the infected area by closing or laying open the skin. During postoperative period, this may cause painful progress and it requires regular dressings. This procedure may take many weeks to heal. Recurrences are also possible.
On the other hand, EPSiT procedure has following advantages as compared with other techniques.
• The direct vision allows the doctor to see perfectly the Pilonidal Sinus as well as other possible fistula tracts or abscess cavities, if any.
• There is the certainty of the complete removal of the infected area.
• The haemostasis is done thoroughly under direct vision.
• It allows the complete removal of the hairs and their follicles which are located not only in the Pilonidal Sinus, but also in the surrounding tissue.
• It requires less cutting (incision) and stitching.
• Painful dressings may not be required.
• It gives excellent aesthetic results.
• It improves the patient’s quality of life.
• Healing occurs within two to three weeks.
• It is performed in day surgery and the patient is discharged the same day of surgery.
• You can return to your daily work earlier.
If it is left untreated, it may cause infection. So if you or any of your friends is suffering from the same problem, then do not hesitate to look for treatment. You can go for Pilonidal Sinus treatment surgery in Chandigarh to get the best treatment.
Feel free to ask any query in the comment section below.